Odoo Cloud vs. Odoo.sh vs. Dedicated Hosting
When using Odoo, you have to decide on a hosting option to run the application. In the following list, we present you the high-level pros and cons of each option.
Odoo Cloud is the SaaS solution running on odoo.com. It is not possible to customize via code or install marketplace add-ons. This is never a valid option if you want to do e.g. (pre-)accounting in Germany.
- Great for very small projects and to try out Odoo, if only the default apps of Odoo are needed
- The hosting is free
- Monthly subscription option
- No customization or custom apps
- No server configuration or control
- No German accounting usable (only on PDF level)
Odoo Cloud is best for testing and evaluating Odoo with a monthly subscription.
Odoo.sh is the official Odoo platform designed as a service to facilitate the development, management, testing, and deployment of Odoo. It includes full CI/CD, monitoring, logging, and everything else needed. The systems are hosted in a shared environment on the Google Cloud.
- Easy setup, maintenance and usage of Odoo
- Allows customization and custom apps
- All-in-one hub to manage CI/CD and the life cycle of development
- Very efficient development processes
- Limited options on server configuration & control
- Not enough performance for transaction & integration heavy use cases
- Limited background data processing, e.g. for high throughput integrations
- Very high cost for dedicated options (starting at 900€/month)
- Data outside of Germany & multiple layers of subprocessors
- Slow recovery
Odoo.sh is the best hosting option for all Odoo installations of up to 100 users with limited or no integrations
You can take over the hosting of your own Odoo instance anytime. In this case, you can decide where (private cloud, public cloud) you want to run the system and can bring your own hardware.
- Best performance for money
- Large scale hardware setup possible for extremely high performance & throughput (thousand of transactions per second)
- Full control of data
- Total control over (physical) server & configuration possible
- Allows fine tuning for performance optimization
- Allows extended background data processing
- Allows using database replicase for BI use cases
- Allows using queues (e.g. RabbitMQ) for large scale data importing & exporting
- Allows for custom firewalls & corporate security measures
- Allows for application / database split
- With great power comes great responsibility
- Requires own set up for the software life cycle (e.g. CI/CD, Updates, Backups, Testing, Recovery etc)
- Requires personnel for instance maintenance & set up
- Highest cost in total for significantly higher performance
Dedicated Hosting is the best option for transaction or integration heavy use cases. It is required for all corporate use cases and for all systems with more than 50 PoSs. It is strongly recommended for all systems processing more than 100.000 orders per month.